The following links have been included to provide a broad sampling of resources on tick-borne diseases and Lyme disease to facilitate your on-line research. Please note that misinformation on Lyme disease is common on the internet. Some of the websites listed below may contain information that is partially correct or of questionable origin; however, they may –- at the same time – include information that is both useful and accurate. Please be discriminating in your assessment of these and other websites on Lyme disease.
The inclusion of links to commercial websites does not necessarily indicate our endorsement of the products or services they describe. We offer these links simply as a potential source of information relating to Lyme disease prevention.
Arthritis Web Sites
Health Web Sites/Online Physicians
Patient Advocacy Groups
Pets and Lyme Disease
Products & Services
- American Pain Foundation; improves the quality of life of people with pain by providing practical information for pain management and advocating against barriers to effective treatment
- Arthritis Foundation; provides information on how to cope with and cure arthritis
- American College of Rheumatology Information for Patients and Public; provides information on rheumatology, the role of the rheumatologist in treating Lyme disease, and treatment options for Lyme disease
- National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases (NIAMD)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); Learn About Lyme Disease.
- National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station Tick Management Handbook
- QuackWatch: Lyme Disease Diagnosis and Treatment; an online watchdog for medical misinformation and malpractice. Note: may include links to sites that contain misinformation; check for citations of legitimate sources.
- DrugWatch.com; a comprehensive Web site database featuring extensive information about thousands of different medications and drugs currently on the market or previously available worldwide. DrugWatch.com includes up-to-date information about prescription and over-the-counter medications and includes details about associated side effects to aid in the protection of patients and consumers.
- DrugAlert.org; a comprehensive database featuring information and news alerts about potentially dangerous drugs currently on the market or previously available worldwide. The site is dedicated to keeping the public informed about drug recalls, side effects, and pending litigation associated with various drugs and their manufacturers.
- Medscape Infectious Diseases Home Page; infectious diseases search engine for published research, conference summaries, treatment updates, clinical management modules, practice guidelines, and textbooks. Note: may include links to sites that contain misinformation; check for citations of legitimate sources.
- Infectious Diseases in Children; an online journal with several specialty forums, including one on Lyme disease.
- MedlinePlus; provides an interactive tutorial in both English and Spanish on Lyme disease.
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; provides information on diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of Lyme disease.
- Board Certified.com; provides a directory of those board certified physicians who wish to present an elevated Internet presence to the patient community. Physicians who are board certified in Infectious Diseases should know about Lyme disease. If not, they should be able to refer one to a physician who has such expertise. The ALDF does not endorse any of the physicians listed.
- The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR); information on the DNA decoding of Borrelia burgdorferi
- University of Rhode Island Tick Encounter Resource Center : provides detailed and current information on tick forecasts, tick bite prevention strategies, tick identification, tick testing, and Lyme disease risk assessment.
- Healthcare Advocates, Inc.; for a small membership fee, helps patients navigate the healthcare system, including insurance issues, financial problems due to illness, prescription plans, and many other services.
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- Clinical Infectious Diseases (CID)
- Journal of Infectious Diseases
- National Institutes of Health (NIH); search engine for published medical and scientific research.
- Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID); provides free articles on tick-borne diseases.
- Vector-borne and Zoonotic Diseases
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Wildlife Diseases
- Infection and Immunity
* Note: may require a subscription to access articles.
- American Medical Association (AMA); publishes the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)
- Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA);publishes Clinical Infectious Diseases (CID) and Journal of Infectious Diseases (JID).
- IDSA Treatment Guidelines
- American College of Physicians (ACP); provides a patient's guide to Lyme disease.
- American Society for Microbiology; dedicated to the study of all microorganisms.
- Wildlife Disease Association (WDA); publishes the Journal of Wildlife Diseases
- European Union Concerted Action on Lyme Borreliosis (EUCALB); provides information on Lyme disease in Europe, the tick life cycle, and tick ecology.
- Medical Search Engine and UK Family Health Guide-Medic 8; Provides general information on various topics related to health.
- Sense About Science; Sense About
Science is an independent charitable trust promoting good science and evidence in public debates. We do this by promoting
respect for evidence and by urging scientists to engage actively with a wide range of groups, particularly when debates are controversial or difficult. We work with scientists to:
• respond to inaccuracies in public claims about science, medicine, and technology
• promote the benefits of scientific research to the public
• help those who need expert help contact scientists about issues of importance
• brief non-specialists on scientific developments and practices.
- Lawyers a leading independent website dedicated to educating the public about their rights and role in medical practice litigations. Maintains a list of the top 1% trial Counsels by State.
- Lyme Disease Tick Map iPhone Application; Provides information for any location in the continental US on black-legged ticks which cause Lyme disease; instructions show how to remove a tick, determine how long a tick has been attached, and if you should seek medical attention.
- Bug-Out Outdoorwear, Inc.; specially designed clothing that guards against ticks and other biting insects
- Rynoskin.com; an ultra light-weight, chemical-free suit worn under the clothes that deters ticks and insects
- Savatree.com; a tree, shrub and lawn care company (New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut) that provides quality tick-control services
- Frontline; offers protection for dogs and cats in the form of sprays and medication